Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Roxanne Laney Roxanne Laney is offline

Default Word 2003 "Before Paragraph" space suppression

Thank you, Klaus! This worked. You are right, ALL of the options were turned
off in this box. I checked "Don't use HTML paragraph autospacing" and
everything returned to normal. I am relieved. This problem was driving me
crazy.
--
roxanne

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

Hi Roxanne,

The setting may have been changed anyway...
The option is "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing".
Check it, close the dialog, and see if it makes a differennce.

Klaus

"Roxanne Laney" wrote:
Thanks, Klaus, but I have not changed versions of Word. By "Old
Documents", I
mean documents I created last month, versus ones I created this week, when
this problem started.

Any other ideas? Thanks, Roxanne
--
roxanne

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

Hi Roxanne,

If you have two paragraphs, the first with some "space after" and the
second
with some "space before", Word will by default use the larger of the two
values.

I think the behaviour changed with Word 2000. Previously, Word had simply
added the values.
If you don't like the "new" behaviour, you can change a compatibility
setting referring to HTML paragraph spacing (Tools Options
Compatibility
up to Word 2003), in the documents, or in the template (for new
documents).
Probably your old documents still have compatibility settings for Word 97
or
older...

Regards,
Klaus

"Roxanne Laney" wrote:
Recently, my Word documents are suppressing the 6 points before
paragraph
spacing. The settings are correct in the FORMAT/PARAGRAPH dialog box,
but
when the box is closed, the before-paragraph spacing is not showing.
That
is,
if I select 6 points before, I see nothing. If I select 12 points
spacing,
see 6 points. This happens on styled text, new documents with the
normal.dot
template and no styles. Older documents look fine. Can anyone tell me
what
fix? All my documents are coming out squished vertically on the page.

--
roxanne