Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Suppress auto-hyphenation for a single word

Hi Eric,

Here's one way:
.. select 'Merleau-Ponty'
.. press Ctrl-F9 to enclose 'Merleau-Ponty' in a field, thus { Merleau-Ponty }
.. edit the field to read {EQ Merleau-Ponty}
.. press F9 to update.

Note: If you don't remove the trailing space from the field, it will appear in the output.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Eric" wrote in message news
Unfortunately the result is that the optional hyphen is visible at the end of
the line:

... unlike the French philosopher -
Merleau-Ponty ...

(Just to to avoid confusion...when you say optional hyphen, I'm typing
control-hyphen.)

Thanks for the suggestion.

"grammatim" wrote:

I _think_ that if you type an Optional Hyphen before (attached to)
Merleau, that keeps it from breaking.

But I may be projecting from another application, since that behavior
isn't documented.

On Jan 18, 4:13 pm, Eric wrote:
In Word 2003, is it possible to suppress auto-hypenation for a single word?
The problem is that Word hyphenates it at the wrong place.

The word is Merleau-Ponty (the name of a French philosopher). Word hypenates
it so that it appears:

... unlike the French philosopher Mer-
leau-Ponty ...

I'd prefer for it to appear this way:

... unlike the French philosopher
Merleau-Ponty ...

I could insert a hard-return before the word, but that's an awkward
solution, since the document may be revised so that the text may shift around.

Thanks.