Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Carol

Default Different Results when merging

Hi again, Peter. Tried connecting to the database using ODBC and OLEDB
and here's what happened:

ODBC -
Data source = my actual CLSToolkit.mdb file, MS Access Database via
ODBC
Was prompted for login. NOTHING WORKED. (The Access app itself
doesn't have an pwd except for a read only user that is hidden from the
real users. I tried that read only user. I tried the admin pwd for
the Sybase database application that our application is drawing the
data from. I tried dba, sql. I tried my own username for the Sybase
database application. I tried a blank userid and password.)

OLE -
Data source = my actual CLS Toolkit.mdb file. OLEDB Database File
Got a screen asking for the database name, the password and the
provider. The Provider defaults to MS Jet 4.0 OLE DB provider. I
supplied the Read Only password for the Access app. Clicked on the
"Test Connection" button and got this message: "Test connection failed
because of an error in initializing. The provider cannot start the
application. The workgroup info file is missing or opened exclusively
by another user."

Instead of trying another username and password (given my lack of
success with the ODBC connection and passwords), I changed the Provider
to Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Provider 9.0 (which is the driver
for the ODBC connections to the Sybase database). I put in the
datasource as the name of the application file, CLSToolkit.mdb. The
location was the physical location on my computer's hard drive
(c:\program files\clstoolkit) and I used the application's Read Only
username and password.

The Test Connection was successful (i.e. I didn't get an error
message). But when I clicked okay, nothing appeared to happen in my
word document and the MailMerge toolbar was all greyed out so I
couldn't do anything with the merge.

And that's where I stand now. I don't think I'll have time today to
test option "c" and connect using VBA just because I'm not the best VBA
programmer in the world and it will take me some time to figure out
exactly how to do it.

But please let me know if the results I've posted so far indicate that
doing option "c" will still be useful. If so, then I'll make the time.

Thanks for your help, Peter.

Carol.