Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Word 2003 Styles (cross post)

Hello Ratcliff

Ratcliff wrote:
This is a cross post from Docmanagement group.

well, technically it's more like a new post, but I know what you mean
(and thanks for mentioning it!).

I am attempting to create a template with a certain set of styles for
a book (900+ pages) and I want to use the protect document feature to
disallow the introduction of unintentional styles.

Am I missing something or do I really have to create a style for every
tiny thing? For example, I have one for Character Bold, Character
Italic, Character Bold Italic, Character Underline, Character Bold
Underline, Character Italic Underline, Character Bold Italic
Underline ... and on and on and on....

No, I don't think you're missing a thing. There can only be one
Character Style in place in Word.

[Unless your example is exaggerated, this "feature" of Word might be a
good opportunity to revise your various formatting needs: in general,
users tend to mix too many different means to accentuate. "Underline",
for instance, is something you might want to forget entirely (it's
pretty much from the typewriter area; with different font sizes and
weights for headings, and bold and/or italic, you should not need it at
all; and Word doesn't do it any good from a typographical POV, anyway).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |