Colin C

Thanks that seems to be the access to the solution.

Colin C

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then on the General tab,
check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item and then when
you attempt to attach the data source, you will be given a number of
different connection methods that you can try. One of them will probably
overcome your problem.

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Colin C" Colin wrote in message
I am creating directory in Word 2003 by mailmerge using as the data source

query in an Access database (prepared in Access 2003 but in 2000 format) .
When I attempt to browse to the data source I find that every table and

query
is listed except the one I want.

Approaching the problem via Tools Office Links etc in Access, the

required
query is listed but draws the response " Can not open data source".

The only exceptional feature of the query i can see is that it contains a
number of calculated fields.