Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Formatting Table of Figures

You can add the label as a text box, frame, or table cell and rotate the
text in it. A caption in a text box, however, won't be seen by the Table of
Figures in Word 2003 or earlier.

http://word.mvps.org

"Hu" wrote in message

The problem I have with both these replies is that for a number of
pictures
there is no "text"--the text is part of the picture and cannot be selected
apart from the entire picture. The reason I have to do some pictures this
way is as follows. Some pictures have the long axis horizontal (4-5
people
lined up next to each other. Because the document has the long axis
vertical, I have to rotate the picture 90 degrees so it will display
better.
Were I not to rotate it, the constraints of the paper would "squish" it
too
much in reducing it to fit the page. Since I can't find a way to type the
label underneath after the picture is rotated and pasted (I can only add
white space underneath and as part of the picture and type the label into
the
white space where it becomes a part of the picture). This leaves me with
no
text that can be selected for a style, a caption etc, only a jpeg picture.