Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default can't get rid of thumbnails in print layout view

Change the zoom setting -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm
or

You can control the zoom with auto macros in normal.dot. The following will
set it to 100% zoom regardless of what the document thinks it should be.
Change the 100 to any preferred zoom level. I have included also some of the
other regular problem fixes, but you can remove the extra lines if required.
If you want normal rather than print layout view swap the apostrophe from
the beginning of the line where indicated to the other.

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.DisplayRulers = True
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True With ActiveWindow.View
'**********************
.Type = wdPrintView
'.Type = wdNormalView
'**********************
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
End With
End Sub

Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.DisplayRulers = True
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True With ActiveWindow.View

'**********************
.Type = wdPrintView
'.Type = wdNormalView
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
End With
End Sub

Andrew wrote:
somehow I ended up with a page of thumbnails in print layout view
although they're not from selecting thumbnail view. I think I my have
pressed a key stroke sequence that allows formatting on all pages. I
can't get out of that mode now