Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Merging PDF Documents

Use and INCLUDETEXT field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Doug,

Yes, it does export to word RTF files which is what I've been trying to
get these to work. I insert as an object then it's the same as a PDF where
you only get the first page. If I insert as a file, it imports starting at
the top of the document instead of where the cursor is positioned. I'm
not doing this with a macro, I'm using the functions on the ribbon so this
isn't a coding problem. It ends up walking all over the text at both the
ends of the document,

Vic

If Crystal can export in Word Format, try making using of that ability.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Doug,

The reports that I'm having to combine with the Word Document are not
text because they have lines, shading colors etc. The reports are
generated from an Access Database using Crystal Reports. Crystal can
export to various formats including Word and I would have thought there
would be a way to import/combine several word documents into 1 but I'm
not finding this to be the case. The Insert facility allows for objects
but limited to a single page (even Word documents).

Right now I'm just trying to come up with a method manually using Word
but not having much luck. I've tried to select an entire 2nd document
and paste into the primary document but the paste ends up walking over
the first page of the document instead of starting at the location of
the cursor it starts at the beginning of the document. There must be a
way, do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Vic

There is no way around this limitation. Can the Crystal Reports be
converted into some text format so that they would not need to be
included as an object, but rather as "ordinary" text that will flow
from one page to the next. That would probably overcome all of your
problems.

If I needed to do something like this, I would be investigating making
direct use from Word of the data that is being use to create the
Crystal Reports and not make use of them at all.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Doug,

Hmm - appears that I have a 3rd problem (at least) which I'd forgotten
about because I knew this before I started this little project. When
an object is inserted into word, it is limited to a single page. Do
you know a way around this crazy limitation?

Vic

I believe that the only way to do that will be after executing the
merge to a new document and then run a macro using code that searches
for each tag and at its location inserts the .pdf

Something like

Selection.HomeKey wdStory
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
Do While .Execute(FindText:="tag", Forward:=True, _
MatchWildcards:=False, Wrap:=wdFindStop, MatchCase:=False) =
True
Selection.InlineShapes.AddOLEObject
ClassType:="AcroExch.Document.7", _
filename:="C:\Temp\T0017.pdf", LinkToFile:=False, _
DisplayAsIcon:=False
Loop
End With

where "tag" is the text of the tag that you have inserted into the
mail merge main document

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
I have a VB6 application that does a mail merge using an Access
database which works fine for database fields. I now have a
requirement that it also do a merge of PDF documents. These documents
will be Crystal reports that will be turned into PDF files. I will
need to insert multiple {tags} that will identify which PDF file to
insert. Can someone tell me how to go about doing this, maybe some
sample code?

I think this will work for inserting the PDF:

Selection.InlineShapes.AddOLEObject
ClassType:="AcroExch.Document.7", _
FileName:="C:\Temp\T0017.pdf", LinkToFile:=False,
DisplayAsIcon:=False

No now I need to know a method of serching for {tags}. Any ideas?
I'm using Word 2007.

Thanks ,

Vic