Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Merging PDF Documents

Hi Vic,

Send a copy to me at and I will take a look at it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Doug,

It's really hard to tell for sure if this is a Crystal problem or a Word
problem. I used a program for converting RTF to DOC and then tried
inserting the newly created DOC file and it does the sam thing (walks all
over the text at the start of the document.

There's obviously something in this DOC file that is causing it to go
crazy. If you'd like to see the RTF/DOC file, let me know and I'd be happy
for you to look at it. Maybe you'll see something there causing the
problem.

Vic

Sorry, I have no experience with Crystal Reports so cannot help you.

It seems strange however as a document that is included in another
document by means of an { INCLUDETEXT } field is normally inserted at the
location of that field. If you toggle the display of field codes, the
{ INCLUDETEXT } field would appear in place of the text of the document.

--
Hope this helps

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid, professional basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Hmm - well it looks like the problem is the way Crystal is is creating
these word files. This problem does not happen with oter word docs.

Vic

Use and INCLUDETEXT field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Doug,

Yes, it does export to word RTF files which is what I've been trying
to get these to work. I insert as an object then it's the same as a
PDF where you only get the first page. If I insert as a file, it
imports starting at the top of the document instead of where the
cursor is positioned. I'm not doing this with a macro, I'm using the
functions on the ribbon so this isn't a coding problem. It ends up
walking all over the text at both the ends of the document,

Vic

If Crystal can export in Word Format, try making using of that
ability.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Doug,

The reports that I'm having to combine with the Word Document are
not text because they have lines, shading colors etc. The reports
are generated from an Access Database using Crystal Reports.
Crystal can export to various formats including Word and I would
have thought there would be a way to import/combine several word
documents into 1 but I'm not finding this to be the case. The Insert
facility allows for objects but limited to a single page (even Word
documents).

Right now I'm just trying to come up with a method manually using
Word but not having much luck. I've tried to select an entire 2nd
document and paste into the primary document but the paste ends up
walking over the first page of the document instead of starting at
the location of the cursor it starts at the beginning of the
document. There must be a way, do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Vic

There is no way around this limitation. Can the Crystal Reports be
converted into some text format so that they would not need to be
included as an object, but rather as "ordinary" text that will flow
from one page to the next. That would probably overcome all of
your problems.

If I needed to do something like this, I would be investigating
making direct use from Word of the data that is being use to create
the Crystal Reports and not make use of them at all.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Doug,

Hmm - appears that I have a 3rd problem (at least) which I'd
forgotten about because I knew this before I started this little
project. When an object is inserted into word, it is limited to a
single page. Do you know a way around this crazy limitation?

Vic

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in
message ...
I believe that the only way to do that will be after executing the
merge to a new document and then run a macro using code that
searches for each tag and at its location inserts the .pdf

Something like

Selection.HomeKey wdStory
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
Do While .Execute(FindText:="tag", Forward:=True, _
MatchWildcards:=False, Wrap:=wdFindStop, MatchCase:=False)
= True
Selection.InlineShapes.AddOLEObject
ClassType:="AcroExch.Document.7", _
filename:="C:\Temp\T0017.pdf", LinkToFile:=False, _
DisplayAsIcon:=False
Loop
End With

where "tag" is the text of the tag that you have inserted into
the mail merge main document

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

msnews.microsoft.com
"Vic" wrote in message
I have a VB6 application that does a mail merge using an Access
database which works fine for database fields. I now have a
requirement that it also do a merge of PDF documents. These
documents will be Crystal reports that will be turned into PDF
files. I will need to insert multiple {tags} that will identify
which PDF file to insert. Can someone tell me how to go about
doing this, maybe some sample code?

I think this will work for inserting the PDF:

Selection.InlineShapes.AddOLEObject
ClassType:="AcroExch.Document.7", _
FileName:="C:\Temp\T0017.pdf", LinkToFile:=False,
DisplayAsIcon:=False

No now I need to know a method of serching for {tags}. Any
ideas? I'm using Word 2007.

Thanks ,

Vic