Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Really odd -- only 255 characters merged...

255 sounds like a very "computer" number

Yes, it does.

The main possibility is that in the problem column, none of the first 8
texts is over 255 characters long. In that case, the OLE DB provider
that Word uses to get data from Excel will truncate all the texts in the
column to 255.

Although it's a pain to have to do it, if you can make one of the first
8 cells in the column longer than 255 characters, that /may/ fix the
problem.

There's more info. about this kind of problem at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm

However, there may well be circumstances where this kind of problem
occurs that I have not described there - e.g. there might be additional
problems if you have many columns with large texts.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 02/11/2009 15:36, Nit_Wit_400 wrote:
I'm using Office 2003 Excel as a database to merge into a Office 2003
Word document.

My mergefields are all fairly large, and all but one of them are
allowing all the characters to be merged (some are upwards of 1000
characters)

The one that isn't merging all the characters is only allowing 255
(with spaces) -- no matter what I put in the cell... It's really
annoying. 255 sounds like a very "computer" number, so I'm not really
sure where to look for this type of problem, whether it's in my
datasheet or my word document.

Any pointers?