Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jay Freedman

Default Writing changing headers in each page in a dictionary

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:11:37 -0500, "homeologica"
wrote:

I'm writing a repertory. This is a kind of medical dictionary formatted the
same way a dictionary is. It has 2 columns. Headings in each page include
the inicial first column word at left side and at right side must be the
second column last word.

This had been a hard task for me because I can't control so much ever
changing section jumps.

Does somebody knows a way to do this?

Perhaps some macros may save time.

Thanks.

Alejandro Fernandez

Hi Alejandro,

The way to do it in Word is first to apply a style to each word that's
being defined in the document. If each word is on a line by itself,
ending with a paragraph mark, then you can use a paragraph style;
otherwise, use a character style. Let's assume you define a character
style named Definition and apply it to each defined word.

Then place two StyleRef fields in the header. On the left, insert the
field

{ StyleRef Definition }

This field will display the first word on each page that has
Definition style.

Then type two Tab characters (the header by default has a tab stop at
the center of the page and another at the right margin). At the right,
enter the field

{ StyleRef Definition \l }

(the letter after the backslash is a lower case ell). This field will
display the last word on each page that has Definition style.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman