Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John Clark John Clark is offline

Default Optionally hiding text in a complicated document

Hi!

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 and I have a document that contains a
number of fairly long lists, and I have had requests to format the
document so that the user can choose whether to display the entire list
or simply to display the first 5 entries in each list. I was hoping to
do this using the "Hidden" font format, but the problem that I run into
is that choosing to display or print text formatted as "Hidden" also
displays/prints all of the field codes embedded in the document.

This seems strange/wrong/broken to me as there is an explicit option to
display field code contents and this option is set to hide field code
contents when I turn on the display of "hidden" text and yet field code
contents are displayed when hidden text is displayed.

Is there a way to toggle the display of only that text that is formatted
as "hidden" rather than the contents of the field codes?

Is using a style for the text that I want to hide, and then
programmatically altering that style definition to include the "hidden"
font format the way to do what I want?

Thanks
-jdc