You don't need to put your TOC in a frame to have it hyperlinked to the
respective pages; any TOC will do that. The TOC-in-a-frame feature is
intended for Web pages.

"John Chief Justice Marshall"
m wrote in message
I've created a table of contents in a frame which allows me to hyperlink
throughout a research paper I am writing. Since I'm compiling a lot of
information from various cases I need to footnote each one. HOwever, when

hyperlink to that section of my paper and insert the text, when I place a
footnote at the end the word document is opened in a new document rather

than
merely leaving me in the word document open next to my table of contents.

Is there any way that I can put footnotes into a document opened in a

frame
without having the docuyment opened in a new window?

Or better yet, is there anyway to create a table of contents that remains
visible at all times on the screen without my having to use frames, which
requires the use of two or more documents?