Default Passing text fields from Excel

I am trying to copy my Excel gradebook into Word documents with
mailmerge. I found that I had to take the data through a converter to
get it to format the percentages in my spread sheet correctly. When I
use ODBBC it gives millions of decimal places and when I use DDE it
mixes up some fields. I decided to use the converter because that
worked the best. Then I added a field that contains the letter grade
which is generated by a VB function as text. The text does not show up
in the Word document. It just appears as an underline. When I tried
earlier to display text cells that I read from another cell in the
spreadsheet it had the same problem.

What am I missing? I feel like I can't win.

I am using Office XP SP1 and Windows Home XP SP2.