Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

Default "Help" is anything but

In any event, thank you for providing that information. May I ask what
newsgroup carried th ereferred article? Perhaps I should subscribe to
that as well.

Also, if you ever have the opportunity to provide some form of
feedback, may I ask that you indicate to them that the Help in Office
2007 is woefully inadequate? I also this weekend spent a long time
trying to figure out something in Excel 2007 and I noticed that in the
articles I referred to the "How-to" sections have been removed,
epecially where it concerns the older functions where, presumably,
they didn't feel the need to write new help since the features weren't
new in this release.

I noticed that the Office 2007 Help feedback features have been
disabled.

On May 4, 8:16*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
A good and unanswerable question.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message

That's great, but why the blazes can the Help in Word not tell me
that?

On May 1, 2:08 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This was just quoted (from Word 2002 Help) in another NG:

The difference between a text box and a frame

Text boxes and frames are both containers for text that can be
positioned on a page and sized.

If you are familiar with earlier versions of Microsoft Word, you
used frames when you wanted to wrap text around a graphic. Now,
you wrap text around a graphic of any size or shape without first
inserting it in a text box or frame.

However, you must use a frame instead of a text box when you want
to position text or graphics that contain certain items.

Use a text box when you want to do any of the following:
. Make text flow from one part of a document to another part by
linking the text boxes.
. Format the text container by using the options on the Drawing
toolbar. You can apply 3-D effects, shadows, border styles and
colors, fills, and backgrounds.
. Rotate and flip text boxes.
. Change the orientation of text in a text box by using the Text
Direction command (Format menu).
. Group your text containers and change the alignment or
distribution of them as a group.

Use frames when your text or graphics contain the following:
. Comments, as indicated by comment marks.
. Footnotes or endnotes, as indicated by note reference marks.
. Certain fields, including AUTONUM, AUTONUMLGL, AUTONUMOUT -
used for numbering lists and paragraphs in legal documents and
outlines - TC (Table of Contents Entry), TOC (Table of Contents),
RD (Referenced Document), XE (Index Entry), TA (Table of
Authorities Entry), and TOA (Table of Authority) fields.

When you open a document that contains frames from a previous
version of Word, Word keeps the frames. When you select a frame,
the Frame command appears on the Format menu.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message

I switched from Office 2002 to Office 2007. Especially Word. The help
is anything but, I can't find a damn thing. If I want to find out how
to do something and I type a keyword inthe help search box, I get a
bunch of irrelevant help.

Latest case in point. I have a text box that I'm working with. In the
Format text box dialog, there is an on the Text Box tab, there is an
option to "Convert to Frame..."

Can I find out using Help waht a Frame is and why I might be want ing
to use it? Hell no.

The hits I get a

- Select text
- decorate pictures or text with borders
- Create and print envelopes for mass mailing
- add and format images in professional Word 2007 documents
- Add a drawing to a document

and so forth.

And I can't find to highlight the search term, nor is there an Index.

How is this supposed to help me?