Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default One Letter Names in Salutation

There is also the issue of the data itself. Which may not be your
answer for this moment in time, but any database I handle that will be
used for mailings has a "salutation" field to avoid exactly this kind
of coding. The more you have to code to look for anomalies, the more
there is chance for undesired results. For example, very often the
data recorded in the first name field will be appropriate for a mailing
label, but something more familiar might be desired for the salutation.
I see this all the time with the organizations I work with. I realize
that right now you have to produce results with the data that you have,
but planning your table structures and data collection methods to
include this can really help in the future.

Betsy