Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

Default Is there someplace to report grammar checker errors?

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:11:12 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

That's not his point, Terry. His point is that the first example (which Word
marks as ungrammatical) is equally unexceptionable.

That was my tertiary point.

My primary point/question was whether there is someplace that users
can report glitches.

My secondary point had to do with whether this is a bug in the grammar
checker. In my opinion, it is.

Exhibit A: If I right click on the flagged word (parents), I am
offererd two alternative spellings: "parent's" and "parents'". If I
replace "parents" with either alternative,

I am meeting with the parent's tomorrow afternoon.
I am meeting with the parents' tomorrow afternoon.

Word is happy. These sentences are now gramatically incorrect ihn
addition to being non-shinning.

Exhibit B: If I right-click on the flagged word and choose About this
sentence, I get this:

Possessive Use
If you are using a singular noun to indicate possession, use an
apostrophe before the "s." If you are using a plural noun, use an
apostrophe after the "s."

Instead of: Both neighbors dogs barked all night long.
Consider: Both neighbors' dogs barked all night long.

Instead of: Ice hockey is Toms favorite sport.
Consider: Ice hockey is Tom's favorite sport.

Clearly Word has completely misunderstood the sentence. At least this
error message is consistent with the suggested spelling alternatives
-- consistently wrong.