Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Peculiar Ruler in Word

To tell you the truth, my money's on #2...

-3 to 0 cm is left edge to left margin = 3 cm
0 to 18 cm is left margin to rt edge = 18 cm
18 cm + 3 cm = the 21 cm he's looking for, and the page looks "almost
square" because the white space is hidden (21 cm X 25 cm displayed).
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Two possible issues:

1. The document contains tracked changes or comments and Word is expanding
the margin to allow for the "balloons."

2. You have white space hidden; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm.

From your description, (1) seems more likely.

so
all may benefit.

"Peter Rooney" wrote in message
Graham,

No luck, I'm afraid.
The ruler still shows -3 to 18.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Even when I restart Word, the print view shows a piece of paper that's
almost square - not A4 at all!

Pete

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm

Peter Rooney wrote:
My wife has just emailed me a Word document that is SUPPOSED to be
set up for A4, but the ruler across the top of the document shows
0-54 cm
I can't get this to go back to the normal A4 ruler which would show
21 (or
29.7 if landscape).
If I close the doc an restart Word, the ruler STILL shows the wrong
measurement, so obviously some default or other has been changed.
Can anyone offer any advice as to how i can get it back to the
correct A4 ruler?
Thanks in advance
Pete