Greg Maxey

Maybe something like:

Sub FileSaveAs()

Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show

Dim pRange as Word.Range
For each pRange in ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
pRange.Fields.update
set pRange = pRange.NextStoryRange
Loop until pRange is nothing
Next

System.Cursor = wdCursorNormal

End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

jwknock wrote:
Thanks, I thought it would be something like that, where I'm stumped
is how to capture a SAve or Save as so I can do that update as soon
as the user saves the file under a new name.

"Jezebel" wrote:

You'll need to write some code --

Dim pRange as Word.Range
For each pRange in ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
pRange.Fields.update
set pRange = pRange.NextStoryRange
Loop until pRange is nothing
Next

That update all fields in your document, wherever they're located.
(Apart from headers and footers, fields in textboxes and footnotes
also need to be updated separately.)

"jwknock" wrote in message
Trying to create a template which holds the filename in the header.
If you save the document under a new name the filename field will
only update on printing if the box is ticked in Tools, Options,
Printing. I would like to force the field to update as soon as file
is saved. I realise this possibly should come under "programming"
topic.