Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
skully57 skully57 is offline

Default How do I recover a word document password?

It was a password to open and I was afraid it would be impossible. It wasn't
important enough to worry about so I'll just take your advice and forget it.
I appreciate your help.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

Password to open, or password to modify? If it's the former, you can
pretty much forget about that document and just start retyping it. You
can search the web for third-party programs that claim to crack
passwords. Such programs are not free. Such programs try to guess the
password using every combination of numbers and letters and symbols
available. Depending on the length and complexity of the password you
chose, the password-cracking program may need to run continuously for
hours or days or weeks or longer before it guesses the right password.
And if you buy such a program, you would probably have to give your
credit card number to a person/company that cracks passwords for a living.

skully57 wrote:

I created a document in Word 2000 and password protected it. Now I can't open
the document because I forgot the password. Can anyone help?