Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] baobob@my-deja.com is offline

Default Where's text centering on Word's menus?

Propeller-head prize: Myself, not Microsoft.

User error again.

Thanks to ALL who replied.

***

Charles: Yep, it WAS a tough night. Threatening to call MS's employees
propeller-heads is a sure sign of that.

But actually, Excel is quite a GOOD word processor. I don't know if
the world at large takes full advantage of this, but I almost always
use Excel if I've got heavily formatted text in blocks or columns.
Much easier (for me at least) to move stuff around than deal with
tables in Word, don'tcha know. And if you've got BULLETED text, why
you can adjust the bullet distance and do other nifty things. AND you
don't have to deal with Word's proto-A.I. automatic bulleting &
numbering, which I inevitably have to defeat in many circumstances.

And if you've got data dependencies, which I always seem have, then
you CANNOT beat Excel. About the only limitation (of importance to me,
at least) is that Excel's grasp of the printed page, and its resultant
paragraph wrap and the like, can indeed differ slightly from the
printer driver's, and you occasionally gotta make a row a cell smaller
or larger in height accordingly. But I can live with that. I mean,
Excel HAS text wrapping. So I think Excel is just EXCELlent--even when
not using it's numeric functionality. Yet ya've got that too.

Doug: Strangely, about the only thing I've ever centered in my brief
24-year microcomputing career is a one- or multi-line title, rarely a
paragraph. Ergo my mind blocked out checking the Paragraph menu item's
dialog. Duh.

Suzanne: Thanks for the shortcut, Ctrl-E. As a keystroke maven, I
should've known it. But did I? No-o-o-o.

Beth: Yeah, my empirical method was a joke. I only checked Format's
main menu level. I'll make sure I have a coupla glasses of wine next
time I try to find something empirically.

Thanks again all.

***