Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Gerri

Gerri wrote:
If Robert converted all his INCLUDETEXT fields to RD fields, *ALL* the
individual chapter headings would apear as 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc in the ToC and
page numbering would restart at 1 for each Chapter.

I don't think that Robert would do that, though. :-)

Adding a {SEQ Chapter \r#} to EACH chapter (substituting # for the actual
chapter number) and using {SEQ Chapter \c}-{Page} for the page numbering and
adding \s Chapter to the {TOC} field inthe "Master" would resove the page
numbering but not the Heading numbering.

But that would only take care of the visible page number in the chapter;
the TOC would still reflect whatever a PAGE field shows on the page (for
a given heading) in the chapter file.

Any clues how to get the TOC to reflect 37.1, 37.1.1 etc for the heading in
Chapter 37?

If you work with RD fields, you have to get the numbering (pages _and_
chapters) straight in all single files before you start compiling TOCs
etc. I've seen macros out there which adjust the page numbering of the
individual files (setting the "Start at" property of the first section
of each file, I presume), so that chapter (n+1) starts at page (end of
chapter n+1).

I've never seen code to adjust the outline numbering in a similar way. I
don't think SEQ works here, but maybe LISTNUM fields?

An alternative approach would be to leave the chapter number away
entirely (in the, say, Heading 1 style) and number the corresponding TOC
style (see the thread "Heading style problem" starting 2005-oct-13 in
this NG).

Greetinx
Robert
--