Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Hide or show hyperlinks

The formatting of hyperlinks is governed by the Hyperlink character style.
You can modify this as desired to change the formatting of all hyperlinks in
a document, with some exceptions: If you generate a TOC using Word's
built-in TOC field (rather than manually, as you appear to have done), the
entries are hyperlinked, and the Hyperlink style is applied but suppressed.
TOC entries don't appear blue and underlined unless you unlink the TOC (at
which point they're no longer actually hyperlinks). Similarly, REF fields
that are also hyperlinks don't display the hyperlink formatting (and it is
surprisingly difficult to compel them to).

http://word.mvps.org

"Rev. Michael L. Burns" wrote in message
. com...
I have created and large document with a table of contents and an index.
Using a combination of bookmarks and hyperlinks, I can click on a Table of
Contents entry or Index entry and jump to the appropriate location in the
document (word, paragraph, page, or picture, etc.)

This works great and comes with an added advantage. I can right-clcik on
the link of a particular Table of Contents or index entry and copy the
hyperlink and then paste it into OneNote. Thereafter I can clcik on the
link in OneNote and go to a specific word, page, paragraph, etc in the
Word document.

However, when I originally created the links in the Word document's Table
of Contents and index it created the normal and expected blue underlined
hyperlink. What I'd like to be able to do is hide the hypelink underlining
and color so as to appear as normal text in the document while still
acting as a hyperlink, sort of like a hotspot. Ideally, I'd like to be
able to turn this capability on or off at will. This way, if I print the
paper, no one would know that there were hyperlinks but if I open the
document I could jump around in the document at will.

Is there a way to do this? Are there any macros to accomplish this or can
someone give me some help in this area? Ideally I'd like to attach them to
buttons that would appear in the Quick Menu at the top of Word.

Any help would be appeciated.

Michael