Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default large brackets/braces

To do what you want in the equation editor, first insert the bracket; within
the placeholder, insert a 1-column-by-2-row matrix; select the two matrix
placeholders, right-click, choose Column Alignment Left; and enter your
notation.

To do it without the equation editor, type the notation as plain text,
aligned as you like. Click Insert Shapes and choose the bracket (left or
right) from the Basic Shapes group. Drag a narrow bounding box to the proper
height, and size and position it as needed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Richard wrote:
Is there any way to get large (2 or more lines) brackets into a word
2007 document WITHOUT using the equation function.

I need large brackets for linguistic notation and I also need to be
able to control formatting within the brackets without being
constrained by the equation function.

The main problem with the equation formatting is that the text will
always be aligned to the centre within the brackets and I want it
aligned left.

Thanks for any help.