Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Default Problem with line numbering and footers

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
It's possible that
the behavior in Word 2000 is actually a "bug" (since it is not
behaving as
designed) that was corrected in a later version.

Agreed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
My test did not include any manual page breaks. I just inserted two

blocks
of lorem ipsum text (enough to run onto a third page). It's possible

that
the behavior in Word 2000 is actually a "bug" (since it is not

behaving as
designed) that was corrected in a later version.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I just read the help topic again. My initial interpretation of the
help text was wrong; since StyleRef begings the search on the page

it
is on, it should pick up the text in the first paragraph (and

never
look on subsequent pages), no matter if the \l switch is used. You

are
quite right about that!

However, I also tested again, in Word 2000, and I found that it

does
behave the way I described in a previous message.

FWIW, even though I used a character style, the result also seems

depend on the presence of paragraph marks in each paragraph where

the
style is used. When I quickly created three pages by inserting

section
breaks, I couldn't get the field (on any of the pages) to show
anything but the very *last* piece of text. Pressing Enter before

each
break fixed that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
When I try it, using three pages of dummy text with a character

style
applied to the first word on each page, I get the following

results:

Page 1: First word on page 2
Page 2: First word on page 2
Page 3: First word on page 3

I would actually expect page 1 to show the first word on page 1

as
well
because the \l switch causes Word to search *the page* from

bottom
to top,
picking up the *last* appearance of the style *on the page.*

This is in Word 2003 SP2.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
It did seem to work when I tested it (with the limitations

stated
in
my previous reply). This also seems consistent with the help

topic
titled "Field codes: StyleRef field" (see the "STYLEREF field
location" section at

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...861931033.aspx).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I don't believe a StyleRef field, even with the \l switch,

will
work
here
because it is based on text on the current page, not the

next
page.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
"Herman" wrote in message

oups.com...
Good day,

I work with MS Word documents on a daily basis that is

100+
pages.
The
formatting they require specify that the line numbering

must
be
on
the
right hand side of the page. Word can only place it on

the
left
side. I
have created a text box linked to the header with the

line
numbering
on
the right. Does anybody know of another way to do this?

I'm afraid there is no other method. If you find it

difficult
get
your custom line numbers to line up with text, consider

specifying
fixed amount of line spacing (FormatParagraph, Indents

and
Spacing
tab) for the text in the text box as well as for the text

in
the
main
body of the document.

The second problem is that the footer of every page must

be
the
first word of the next page. Is there an easy way to do

this?

Create a character style (with no formatting, based on

"underlying
properties") and apply it to the first word of each page.

Then
add
the
STYLEREF "characterstylename_here" \l (backslash followed

by
lowercase
"L") field to the footer.

Note that you cannot control which word is in fact the

first
on a
page, since pages are created dynamically by Word as you

add
and
remove text, so you'd better apply the style when document
formatting
is done (and you know what printer driver it will be used

with).
Alternatively, also add "Page break before" formatting
(FormatParagraph, Line and Page Breaks tab) to the

paragraph
containing the character-styled text.

--
Stefan Blom