Daiya Mitchell

You should put a next page section break (via Insert menu) between the two
chapters, and set footnotes to "restart each section" (via Insert |
Footnote, click Options, change setting, OK, click Close to save changes but
not insert another note, though if you do insert it, Undo will undo the
insert but not the setting change).

For more and related info:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm (in case you are doing
other chapter-based formatting)

On 1/14/05 11:16 AM, "Alan Mckenna via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Using Word 2000 I would be grateful if anyone could suggest how I can prevent
my footnotes renumbering to run consecutively when I add two chapters of my
work together to form one document? I need the footnotes in each chapter to
start from 1. Thanks

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/