Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Word always opens in design mode (survey form with radiobuttons)

Both problems are entirely caused by having radio buttons in the document.

Radio buttons are ActiveX controls from the Control Toolbox. Even if you
don't write a single line of VBA code, they will *always* trigger the macro
security warning unless (and I don't recommend this) you set the macro
security level to Low, or you sign the document with a digital certificate
and accept the certificate.

If you click the Enable Macros button in the warning, you won't get Design
Mode.

There is nothing the document author can do to influence the macro security
levels on other users' computers.

See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...dc_activeX.asp
for more information.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

KR wrote:
Someone sent me a document to troubleshoot (and it isn't something
obvious, so I'm coming to you)- I'm using Word 2003 on Office 2000.

The file has a survey with 34 questions (across 2 pages) in a 6 column
table. The first column contains the questions, and the next five
columns each contain a radiobutton (with a groupname for each row).

Two problems:
1. Although there is no code in the document (no modules, and no code
in the main document window), the document always prompts with a
macro warning on open
2. Even if you select text, deselect design mode, and save (so it
should open as a usable survey), the document opens in design mode
every time.

Any thoughts on things I could check that might affect either (or
both) of these issues?

Thanks!
Keith