Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
themint100 themint100 is offline

Default Character style without specifying a font (e.g. for bold or un

Hmmm...I can't modify the style 'bold' which is what I really wanted to
do...apparently that one's reserved. I was able to make another
(unfortunately it has a name different than every other template I've ever
built in other systems).

If 'bold' is indeed a reserved character style, why is there a font
specified for something so generic? Can anyone else verify that 'bold' has
Times New Roman assigned and not changeable?

If it's only me, does that indicate some kind of corruption to the template?

-g

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Start with the character style listed as "Default Paragraph Font," but don't
try to modify it. Instead, choose New, then type Bold (or whatever) as your
style name. A character style can contain any formatting that can be defined
in the Font dialog, but it does not have to specify a font or point size if
it is based on the DPF.

"themint100" wrote in message
Thanks, Daiya.

Unfortunately, that's not working. I have a character style called 'bold'.

am trying the following:

1) Right click and choose Modify in the Style list on 'bold'.
2) In the Modify Style dialog:
- name="bold"
- Style type="Character" but is grayed out...I'm assuming this is because
'bold' is a reserved name...that's fine, I just want to define what 'bold'
means
- Style based on is set to "Default Paragraph Font"

In the Formatting section, Times New Roman 10pt is selected, along with

the
Bold ("B") icon.

Grrr...

Is the problem trying to use one of Word's reserved names? Seems I should

be
able to define what 'bold' means...

-g

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Use the Default Paragraph Font for the font setting.

General info:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/DefParaFont.htm

themint100 wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a way in Word to make a character style that would only apply

the
selected formatting (e.g., bold, underline, smallcaps) to the selected

text?

Even when I specify that a character style is to be based on

(underlying
properties), Word selects a font for the character style.

I'd expect to see a "None" entry in the font list when setting up such

style (like in FrameMaker).

-g