Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Finding & Replacing Characters using wildcards

Hi Greg,

Well, your Replace With expression is completely wrong. You can't type
anything into the Replace With box to set the style; you have to do that
through the Format button in the dialog. Also, although you don't say so, I
assume you want to remove the "tags" at the beginning and end of each
heading, so that will alter your Find What expression, too.

In the Find What box, enter

MyHead1(*)Head1My(^13)

In the Replace With box, enter

\1\2

Each item in the Find What box that's surrounded by parentheses becomes a
numbered item in the Replace With expression -- the \1 refers to the
characters matched by the star, which is everything except the "tags", and
the \2 refers to the paragraph mark.

Then click the Format button, select Style, and select Heading 1 from the
list. Below the Replace With box you should see the notation "Format: Style:
Heading 1". Now you can click the Replace All button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Greg wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use the Find/Replace wildcard syntax and add Heading 1
styles to my text. I have turned For example I have the following
sample text in my document:

MyHead1AnthropologyHead1My
MyHead1Cell BiologyHead1My
MyHead1Center for Neuroscience and Regeneration ResearchHead1My

It is my understanding that I need to use the following in the "Find
What" box:

(MyHead1*Head1My^13)

And use the following in the "Replace With" box:

\1^p ((style "Heading 1"))

However, it doesn't apply the "Heading 1" style format instead I get:

MyHead1Anatomical PathologyHead1My

((style "Heading 1"))

Can someone explain what I need to fix to accomplish what I need?

-Greg