Jeni Q

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
: First, if you open the Template (e.g. using Word File|Open, rather than
: creating a new document based on it), is it connected to the data source?
: (e.g. if you display the MailMerge toolbar using Tools|Customize,
: a. are most/all the buttons after the first two greyed out?
: b. if you click the first button, what type of document is selected?)

If I open the template (rather than creating a new doc based on the
template) I am prompted with the SQL prompt.
If I choose No, then all the buttons but the first two are grayed out and
Normal Word Doc is selected as the Main Document Type.
If I choose Yes, then all the buttons are available and Letters is selected
as the Main Document Type.

(Good questions!)

: Second...
:
: One is that when I run the MergeFromExcel
: macro, I get prompted to select the table. This was previously included
in
: the macro.
:
: ...does your macro issue an OpenDataSource call? If so, can you copy/paste
: the code for that call into a message in this thread?

I don't know. Below is the code in the Macro (both macros, actually). It's a
recorded macro, nothing fancy. I figured I could re-record the macro to fix
this problem. It's the problem mentioned below that I don't know how to
fix.

Sub AutoNew()
'
' AutoNew Macro
' Macro created 12/18/2003 by Jennifer Q Dickens
'
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="DueDate"
Selection.InsertBefore Format((Date + 14), "d MMMM, yyyy")
End Sub

Sub MergeFromExcel()
'
' MergeFromExcel Macro
' Macro recorded 2/19/2004 by Scot J dobson
'
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = wdFormLetters
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:= _
"K:\AA documents\SRC IP Tracking spreadsheet.xls",
ConfirmConversions:= _
False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True, AddToRecentFiles:=False,
_
PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="",
WritePasswordDocument:="", _
WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto,
_
Connection:="CurrentData", SQLStatement:="", SQLStatement1:=""
With ActiveDocument.MailMerge
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.MailAsAttachment = False
.MailAddressFieldName = ""
.MailSubject = ""
.SuppressBlankLines = True
With .DataSource
.FirstRecord = wdDefaultFirstRecord
.LastRecord = wdDefaultLastRecord
End With
.Execute Pause:=True
End With
End Sub

: The completed merged documents seem to be
: retaining both their macros
:
: I'll look at this separately.

I think I love you. Thanks.

: Peter Jamieson
: "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: ...
: I really do need the mail merge to be connected to the template. That's
the
: whole point of this exercise. My user has a letter that he has to
complete
: several times a day, but never in a big batch job. It's always a single
: letter at a time. The text is the same on the letter with the exception
of
: a
: few fields such as name, title, university, etc.
:
: Previously in Word 2000, I created a template with 2 macros and several
: data
: fields in it. The first macro is an AUTONEW macro that inserts a
: calculated
: date at a bookmarked location. The date is based on the CREATEDATE which
: is
: also inserted when the template is opened. The second macro
: (MergeFromExcel)
: is a very simple recorded macro which consists of opening the data
source,
: finding the named range, and merging the data. The data fields are in
the
: template already, so the macro runs through and dumps the data into the
: document, leaving me with a completed merged document that has a
: createdate,
: a calculated date, and my 6 fields pulled from the excel spreadsheet.
:
: We have just upgraded to 2003 recently. So with this template,
everything
: is
: working OK now but two things. One is that when I run the MergeFromExcel
: macro, I get prompted to select the table. This was previously included
in
: the macro. This I can fix by rerecording the macro or editing it if I'm
: really clever. (I don't know any VBA, which limits my abilities.) The
: second
: problem is a larger problem. The completed merged documents seem to be
: retaining both their macros and their database connection. So when I
open
: one of the completed documents, I'm promted to enable/disable macros and
: I'm
: also prompted with the SQL warning.
:
: What's really weird about Word 2003 is that it seems to remember some of
: the
: data connections, sometimes, but it's not consistent. What's up with
that?
:
: So, anyway, it seems to me that I do need the merge associated with the
: special template. There may be a real obvious answer to this problem
that
: I'm missing. Any advice?
:
:
:
: "Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
: ...
: : Don't know if that is what has happened, but if it is and you do not
: need
: : your mail merge main document to be connected to this template,
: disconnect
: : it, or alternatively, disconnect the template and set up the
connection
: in
: a
: : VBA AutoNew macro if you know how to do that. In many cases, the
: sensible
: : thing to do when dealing with mailmerge is to develop your mail merge
: main
: : document, connect it to its data source, associate it with the
: normal.dot
: : template, then save it, and avoid using a special template - it's not
: how
: : Word is really supposed to work, but it probably causes fewer problems
: with
: : mailmerge, unless, for example, you need to use fields such as ASK,
: FILLIN,
: : and (especially) CREATEDATE, which tend to work differently when you
: create
: : a new document from a template.
: :
: : recieve
: :
: : can't believe I used that spelling, even by accident!
: :
: : Peter Jamieson
: : "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: : ...
: : I think this must be what's happening. The weird thing is that one
time
: I
: : got it to work right. But I can't remember how. :-O
: : "Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Is your document based on (associated with) a template (.dot) that
: is
: : : connected to a data source? If so, you might recieve this message
in
: : recent
: : : versions of Word because when the template opens, it tries to
: connect
: : the
: : : data source.
: : :
: : : Peter Jamieson
: : :
: : : "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: : : ...
: : : Yes, I'm pretty sure that the merge has been executed.
Typically,
: when
: : you
: : : have not executed the merge, most of the toolbar buttons are
: available
: : : you. You can also see the field shading (I have mine set to
: Always).
:
: : In
: : : this
: : : completed document, there are no shaded fields appearing and the
: only
: : : mailmerge toolbar buttons available are Main Document Setup and
: Open
: : Data
: : : Source. So it clearly seems to me that it has merged.
: : :
: : : However, it's insistence on prompting to connect to the data
: source
: on
: : : open
: : : proves otherwise. What could be keeping the connection?
: : :
: : : Jennifer
: : :
: : : "Doug Robbins" wrote in message
: : : ...
: : : : Are you sure that you have actually executed the merge to a
new
: : : document?
: : : :
: : : : I suggest that you select Toolbars from the View menu and then
: check
: : the
: : : : mailmerge item to display the mailmerge toolbar, then use the
: : buttons
: : on
: : : the
: : : : Right Hand end of the toolbar to execute the mailmerge.
: : : :
: : : : --
: : : : Hope this helps.
: : : :
: : : : Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail
yourself
: of
: : my
: : : : services on a paid consulting basis.
: : : :
: : : : Doug Robbins - Word MVP
: : : : "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: : : : ...
: : : : Hello. I've read KB 825765 so I understand when and why I
get
: : prompted
: : : : with
: : : : the "Opening this will run the following SQL command"
message
: when
: : you
: : : : open
: : : : a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data
: source.
: : : :
: : : : However, I do not understand why I get prompted for the
: document
: : after
: : : the
: : : : merge has run and my new document has been created and
saved.
: When
: : I
: : : close
: : : : and reopen the newly created document, I still get the
prompt.
: : There
: : : is
: : : : obviously a data attachment still existing. Is there any way
: : break
: : : that
: : : : attachment?
: : : :
: : : : I may not be understanding clearly how the merge process
: worked.
: I
: : : thought
: : : : it brought data into the new document and that's it. Is it
: : : continuously
: : : : going to the data source to get the data?
: : : :
: : : : Any help/advice would be appreciated.
: : : :
: : : : Thanks,
: : : : Jennifer Dickens
: : : :