Peter Jamieson

If I open the template (rather than creating a new doc based on the
template) I am prompted with the SQL prompt.

OK, in that case I suggest you open the template, go through your connection
process, then click the first button, select the "Normal Word Document"
option, and save the template. At least that should stop the /template/ from
trying to connect when it loads.

I don't know. Below is the code in the Macro (both macros, actually). It's
recorded macro, nothing fancy. I figured I could re-record the macro to
fix
this problem.

Always worth a try - unfortunately I don't think re-recording will help as
Word records this stuff very badly.

It's the problem mentioned below that I don't know how to
fix.

OK, the key statement is this one - I'll just chop out stuff I'm pretty sure
is not needed for starters:

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:="K:\AA documents\SRC IP Tracking spreadsheet.xls", _
Connection:="CurrentData", _
SQLStatement:=""

The main questions are
a. does this need to work in Word 2000 as well as Word 2003 - if so, is it
easy for you to maintain two different versions? Or does it just need to
work in Word 2003?
b. are you connecting to a named range called CurrentData? Is it in the
first sheet in your Excel workbook?

: The completed merged documents seem to be
: retaining both their macros
:
: I'll look at this separately.

....eventually :-)

Peter Jamieson

"Jeni Q" wrote in message

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
: First, if you open the Template (e.g. using Word File|Open, rather than
: creating a new document based on it), is it connected to the data
source?
: (e.g. if you display the MailMerge toolbar using Tools|Customize,
: a. are most/all the buttons after the first two greyed out?
: b. if you click the first button, what type of document is selected?)

If I open the template (rather than creating a new doc based on the
template) I am prompted with the SQL prompt.
If I choose No, then all the buttons but the first two are grayed out and
Normal Word Doc is selected as the Main Document Type.
If I choose Yes, then all the buttons are available and Letters is
selected
as the Main Document Type.

(Good questions!)

: Second...
:
: One is that when I run the MergeFromExcel
: macro, I get prompted to select the table. This was previously
included
in
: the macro.
:
: ...does your macro issue an OpenDataSource call? If so, can you
copy/paste
: the code for that call into a message in this thread?

I don't know. Below is the code in the Macro (both macros, actually). It's
recorded macro, nothing fancy. I figured I could re-record the macro to
fix
this problem. It's the problem mentioned below that I don't know how to
fix.

Sub AutoNew()
'
' AutoNew Macro
' Macro created 12/18/2003 by Jennifer Q Dickens
'
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="DueDate"
Selection.InsertBefore Format((Date + 14), "d MMMM, yyyy")
End Sub

Sub MergeFromExcel()
'
' MergeFromExcel Macro
' Macro recorded 2/19/2004 by Scot J dobson
'
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = wdFormLetters
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:= _
"K:\AA documents\SRC IP Tracking spreadsheet.xls",
ConfirmConversions:= _
False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True,
AddToRecentFiles:=False,
_
PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="",
WritePasswordDocument:="", _
WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto,
_
Connection:="CurrentData", SQLStatement:="", SQLStatement1:=""
With ActiveDocument.MailMerge
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.MailAsAttachment = False
.MailAddressFieldName = ""
.MailSubject = ""
.SuppressBlankLines = True
With .DataSource
.FirstRecord = wdDefaultFirstRecord
.LastRecord = wdDefaultLastRecord
End With
.Execute Pause:=True
End With
End Sub

: The completed merged documents seem to be
: retaining both their macros
:
: I'll look at this separately.

I think I love you. Thanks.

: Peter Jamieson
: "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: ...
: I really do need the mail merge to be connected to the template. That's
the
: whole point of this exercise. My user has a letter that he has to
complete
: several times a day, but never in a big batch job. It's always a
single
: letter at a time. The text is the same on the letter with the
exception
of
: a
: few fields such as name, title, university, etc.
:
: Previously in Word 2000, I created a template with 2 macros and
several
: data
: fields in it. The first macro is an AUTONEW macro that inserts a
: calculated
: date at a bookmarked location. The date is based on the CREATEDATE
which
: is
: also inserted when the template is opened. The second macro
: (MergeFromExcel)
: is a very simple recorded macro which consists of opening the data
source,
: finding the named range, and merging the data. The data fields are in
the
: template already, so the macro runs through and dumps the data into
the
: document, leaving me with a completed merged document that has a
: createdate,
: a calculated date, and my 6 fields pulled from the excel spreadsheet.
:
: We have just upgraded to 2003 recently. So with this template,
everything
: is
: working OK now but two things. One is that when I run the
MergeFromExcel
: macro, I get prompted to select the table. This was previously
included
in
: the macro. This I can fix by rerecording the macro or editing it if
I'm
: really clever. (I don't know any VBA, which limits my abilities.) The
: second
: problem is a larger problem. The completed merged documents seem to be
: retaining both their macros and their database connection. So when I
open
: one of the completed documents, I'm promted to enable/disable macros
and
: I'm
: also prompted with the SQL warning.
:
: What's really weird about Word 2003 is that it seems to remember some
of
: the
: data connections, sometimes, but it's not consistent. What's up with
that?
:
: So, anyway, it seems to me that I do need the merge associated with
the
: special template. There may be a real obvious answer to this problem
that
: I'm missing. Any advice?
:
:
:
: "Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
: ...
: : Don't know if that is what has happened, but if it is and you do not
: need
: : your mail merge main document to be connected to this template,
: disconnect
: : it, or alternatively, disconnect the template and set up the
connection
: in
: a
: : VBA AutoNew macro if you know how to do that. In many cases, the
: sensible
: : thing to do when dealing with mailmerge is to develop your mail
merge
: main
: : document, connect it to its data source, associate it with the
: normal.dot
: : template, then save it, and avoid using a special template - it's
not
: how
: : Word is really supposed to work, but it probably causes fewer
problems
: with
: : mailmerge, unless, for example, you need to use fields such as ASK,
: FILLIN,
: : and (especially) CREATEDATE, which tend to work differently when you
: create
: : a new document from a template.
: :
: : recieve
: :
: : can't believe I used that spelling, even by accident!
: :
: : Peter Jamieson
: : "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: : ...
: : I think this must be what's happening. The weird thing is that one
time
: I
: : got it to work right. But I can't remember how. :-O
: : "Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Is your document based on (associated with) a template (.dot)
that
: is
: : : connected to a data source? If so, you might recieve this
message
in
: : recent
: : : versions of Word because when the template opens, it tries to
: connect
: : the
: : : data source.
: : :
: : : Peter Jamieson
: : :
: : : "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: : : ...
: : : Yes, I'm pretty sure that the merge has been executed.
Typically,
: when
: : you
: : : have not executed the merge, most of the toolbar buttons are
: available
: : : you. You can also see the field shading (I have mine set to
: Always).
:
: : In
: : : this
: : : completed document, there are no shaded fields appearing and
the
: only
: : : mailmerge toolbar buttons available are Main Document Setup
and
: Open
: : Data
: : : Source. So it clearly seems to me that it has merged.
: : :
: : : However, it's insistence on prompting to connect to the data
: source
: on
: : : open
: : : proves otherwise. What could be keeping the connection?
: : :
: : : Jennifer
: : :
: : : "Doug Robbins" wrote in message
: : : ...
: : : : Are you sure that you have actually executed the merge to a
new
: : : document?
: : : :
: : : : I suggest that you select Toolbars from the View menu and
then
: check
: : the
: : : : mailmerge item to display the mailmerge toolbar, then use
the
: : buttons
: : on
: : : the
: : : : Right Hand end of the toolbar to execute the mailmerge.
: : : :
: : : : --
: : : : Hope this helps.
: : : :
: : : : Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail
yourself
: of
: : my
: : : : services on a paid consulting basis.
: : : :
: : : : Doug Robbins - Word MVP
: : : : "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: : : : ...
: : : : Hello. I've read KB 825765 so I understand when and why I
get
: : prompted
: : : : with
: : : : the "Opening this will run the following SQL command"
message
: when
: : you
: : : : open
: : : : a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data
: source.
: : : :
: : : : However, I do not understand why I get prompted for the
: document
: : after
: : : the
: : : : merge has run and my new document has been created and
saved.
: When
: : I
: : : close
: : : : and reopen the newly created document, I still get the
prompt.
: : There
: : : is
: : : : obviously a data attachment still existing. Is there any
way
: : break
: : : that
: : : : attachment?
: : : :
: : : : I may not be understanding clearly how the merge process
: worked.
: I
: : : thought
: : : : it brought data into the new document and that's it. Is it
: : : continuously
: : : : going to the data source to get the data?
: : : :
: : : : Any help/advice would be appreciated.
: : : :
: : : : Thanks,
: : : : Jennifer Dickens
: : : :