Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LabrGuy Bob R LabrGuy Bob R is offline

Default WORD Mailmerge with Excel DataSource - loss of formatting

Thanks for asking Peter,
the code in the beginning is binding the code over ok with word, and as I
said I have all but about 5 or 6 of these that won't work, no matter what.
This is a specific spreadsheet and it has a twin in the workbook for more
information..
All users have the same version of Excel on their machines...

Now for the poss problem if I'm reading you right. The first database has
174 columns and the second one has 186 columns. Is this a problem or where
it's at????
Thanks again
BOB

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Hi Bob,

To recap, previously we discussed two things:
a. the formatting, and using DDE to connect to try to solve that problem
b. programmatic connection using DDE.

Did (a) work? If so, did (b) fail? Or what? (and if possible, why?)

Does this have to work for any old spreadsheet, or just specific
spreadsheets?

If it's specific spreadsheets, do any of them have more than 63 columns?
Do all the users who need this solution have Excel on their machines?

Peter Jamieson

"LabrGuy Bob R" wrote in message
Hello, I touched on this subject before but haven't gotten a solution. I
am using Excel and Word 2003 with Win XP Pro.
I am using a database that is in Excel and consists of various fields of
text, numbers, currency and dates/times.

My issue is when I have this data in excel, I've formatted the cells to
display the format that I want, i.e. currency/currency, date/date,
time/time etc.
When I link the mail merge document to the data base, some of these cells
display as they are formatted in Excel, some don't. For those that do
I've used some switches on the WORD document for specific formatting. The
trouble is some of them work great, and the information is exact, others
(No matter what switch in WORD is used, no matter if I format it as text
in the excel database, etc) give me a single "0". I've tried re-inserting
the fields other places and there's no change. This issue is consistent
with all my worksheets.

I am at wits end and don't have an answer.
Is there something that I might be missing to solve this problem, is
there a limit on specific data types to use, is there a way to force
things? is there a special problem with results of formulas?? OR can
anyone think of something that will work. I've got cells with the same
kind of data, in the same merge document, showing correct data & my
zero's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bob Reynolds