Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
i.t.'s nightmare i.t.'s nightmare is offline

Default Can I link form fields within a Word document?

Macropod,

I am trying to do something similar but with Drop-Down form fields. My form
has drop downs for the user to choose their heading in a table. I would then
like to carry that choice through the other headers below so they do not have
to duplicate or complete the drop down header throughout the document. When
I followed your instructions below (which were great!), I was able to get it
to duplicate the first drop-down option, but when I changed it, it did not
update. Help!

"macropod" wrote:

Hi David,

Instead of linking the formfields (which is quite simple), why not use cross-references to their bookmark names
(Insert|Cross-Reference Bookmark), or create a formula field (Insert|Field Formula) if you're trying to do maths?

To link one formfield to another, simply set its type to 'calculation' and insert the relevant equation (referencing the source
formfields) or, for text, use REF Text1 (where 'Text1' is the source formfield's name.

--
Cheers
macropod

"David" wrote in message ...
Aren't there any proper help files for Microsoft products anymore? I opened
help, clicked on 'Can I link form fields within a word document?' and got
sent to this discussion group which then has links to other sites with
vaguely related stuff, most of which is out of date. If I just wanted a bunch
of links related to the topic I could just Google it. Is there anywhere I can
find proper help files or a manual?