Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dabbler Dabbler is offline

Default template questions

Well, that might be good advice if Word didn't allow malicios macro and VB
script execution. I know Microsoft has security fixes out but that jobsworth
can't be sure they're installed on every pc on the network, so he probably
has some corporate version of AV with policy set to prohibit execution if
document is opened off the net.

I would just like more information on what the difference is between the
guts of two documents, the ones that open successfully and the ones that are
created with text form fields and fail.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Just because the company is successful doesn't mean that its AV software is
any good or that its security is well configured. It merely means that there
will be some jobsworth in charge of IT support who is going to be hard to
convinvce that what they are doing is inappropriate. There should be no
reason to virus check each document as it is opened, and to that end most
users turn off such checking. In particular Norton AV is notorious for
getting in the way and its Office Plug-in should be turned off.

Dabbler wrote:
over enthusiastic or not, the mail is being rejected by the security
infrastructure of a fortune 500 company. Something in the Word
document is triggering the AV scanner to reject it. It only happens
with documents created from a temploate with Text Form Fields. I
would like to find out what is different about this kind of resulting
document to see if there is a workaround.

M.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Given that there is no virus checking in Word, I would look first at
an over-enthusiastic virus checking software on your client's PC.

Dabbler wrote:
A consultant created a Word template for my client. It includes a
logo image and several Text Form Fields (you click on the grey
highlighted text and the entire text is selected to be replaced with
what you type). My client has one of their customers who cannot open
docs based on this template so I'm investigating. The open either
generates a "this document contains a virus" error or the open
simply hangs and it does this for all recipients at that customer.

How are these "fields" created in Word? I'm wondering if the
resulting doc contains a macro? Is there a way I can see the doc in
Raw mode ?

Thanks for any clues here.