Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Default Word files being duplicated!

As garfield says, this is normal behaviour. If you're seeing it for the
first time, you've changed Explorer settings so you're now displaying hidden
and system files.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...
That's normal behavior for Word. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632 "Description of how Word creates
temporary files" for more information.

Genesis wrote:

In the last week I've noticed that when I open a Word file, it's
immediately duplicated as a sort of ghost file with $~ symbols in front
of the new name. That never happened before and it only happens in Word
(not Excel, Powerpoint, etc). I've searched all over trying to find
answers to see if it's maybe a new virus or trojan but no luck. My
operating system is XP and the same problem happened in Word 2003 and
Word XP... My virusscan doesn't pick up anything either...
Does anyone have any clue why this is happening and what I can do to fix
it???
Thank you.