Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default captions with chapter headings - resets with each section break

Are you using Headings 1--8 before applying a Heading 9? If not, that
could explain the problems you are seeing. The reason is that Word
requires that you apply headings so that the hierarchy is preserved.

In other words, if you apply Heading 9, Headings 1--8 is assumed to
present. This, obviously, affects the heading numbering, but it also
(indirectly) affects Word captions, inserted via the Caption dialog
box.

If you are trying to create a separate set of captions for an
appendix, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"claire_sellens" wrote in message
Hi can someone help me with this problem,

I am using Word 2000, and trying to insert figure and table captions

with
chapter numbers.
In each document I am using a single chapter number assigned to

Heading 9. I
can get the chapter number to insert correctly for each caption, but

the
sequencing is not working.
Every time I have a next page section break, the sequencing resets

to 1. ie
I have caption 2.1, 2.2, section break next page, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and

so on.