WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why does pressing enter skip a line, and how to change it?

The reason why pressing enter in Microsoft Word skips a line instead of moving to the next line is because it is set to use a default paragraph style that includes extra spacing between paragraphs. This is called "paragraph spacing" and it is designed to make documents easier to read by creating more space between paragraphs.

However, if you prefer to have your paragraphs closer together, you can change the default paragraph spacing in Microsoft Word. Here's how:
  1. Open a new or existing document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section.
  4. In the "Paragraph" dialog box that appears, click on the "Indents and Spacing" tab.
  5. Under "Spacing", change the "After" value to "0 pt".
  6. Click "OK" to save your changes.

Now, when you press enter in Microsoft Word, it will only move to the next line instead of skipping a line.

As for why this feature is here, it is designed to make documents easier to read by creating more space between paragraphs. However, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to formatting documents, so it's good to know that you can change this default setting to suit your needs.