Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Problem with Mailing_Address format

If you want to continue to use the mailing address field (what it is
actually called depends on whether you start the merge from Word or
Outlook - but addressblock is something different again) then you are going
to have to fix the data. Merge the field to a new document with either a
directory merge or a label merge document type, which will reveal all the
defective records, then edit those records. Even if you use the individual
fields, you will probably still have the layout issue if the returns have
not been inserted in the Outlook address field.

It could be worse - I receive a newsletter which is a Word document
consisting of one enormous paragraph formatted entirely with TABs to lay it
out on the page.

KeithXP wrote:
I am not using the 'Address Block' field in Word, I am using the
'Mailing_Address' field from Outlook (equivalent to the
'Postal_Address' field for U.S. users). I don't think these two
fields are the same.

As I mentioned, for some contacts we are selecting Home Address and
for some it is Business Address fields. If we did not use the
Mailing_Address field, the merge would be much more complex as it
would need to include a switch based on the value of the Address
Selector field.

thanks

Keith

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Do not use the "Address Block" mergefield. Just insert the
individual fields in the configuration that you want them.

Also see the "Mailmerge from Outlook" item on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"KeithXP" wrote in message
I am merging Outlook 2003 contact data to address labels in Word
2003. The mailing address for the contacts may be either 'Business
Address' or 'Home Address' and so I am using the 'Mailing Address'
field.

My problem is that on some labels the address is formatted
correctly (UK style!), with the street address, city, postcode,
county & country each on a
separate line while on others the information is strung togther
with just a
space between each.

I have examined the individual fields in Outlook (Show All Fields)
but cannot see any difference between those that format correctly
and those which
don't.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how to get around
it?

thanks