Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Piers Alington Piers Alington is offline

Default Word 2007 Mail merge - omit blank lines & address block

OK - good idea - thanks

"Piers Alington" wrote:

I seem to be going round in circles with advice on how to solve a mail merge
problem in Word 2007

I want to omit blank lines from the name and address section of a mail merge
document.

Some advice says 'use the address block'. However, the address block does
not have the person's job title field in it - even though I have set it to be
included in the Optional Information section of the 'Match Fields' section
(what exactly is the point of that section if it doesn't do what it is
supposed to?)

So then, the advice is to use separate fields, rather than the integrated
Address Block. Fine, except that then it shows blank lines where the data
source does not have fields populated for address line 2, etc - a common
issue and one of the most obvious requirements for a mail merge function. I
cannot find out / work out how to use the 'If... Then... Else' function in
the Rules section of the Mail Merge ribbon; if you select the field 'address
line 2' as the field in the 'If Then Else' dialog box with either 'is blank'
or 'is not blank', then what do you do?

I have spent all morning on this - when it should be so simple. EXTREMELY
frustrating. Why is it SO complex to do such a SIMPLE thing?