Kind writer/user/programmer

Default Word 2003 Table AutoFormat vs Macro vs VBA

Ultimate goal is to create a predictable ironclad table format.

What's diff tween using a macro (and some VBA fortifications) vs Table
Autoformat (with a customized table style). Each approach has problems:

I defined table cell styles and used a macro, to some degree of
success...however, some settings (heading rows repeat) are toggles; other
items don't "show up" as a VB command/method/object (i.e., format to fit
content, then turn that off so table doesn't automatically resize).

I also customized one of the autoformat table styles to look more or less
like I want.

However, the Autoformat doesn't apply "styles" to cells, so when users use
(for example) Normal, or Heading 1 (autonumbered), the paragraph formatting
in the cells is wrong. Also the checkboxes for first row different (table
head centered tyle) and first column different(table cell bold) style), don't
seem to stick.

And, the table layout is...well, resizing table widths is a new challenge in
Word 2003. The Alt key helps (when resizing), but most often, mousing over a
column divider (vertical line in a table), the cursor blinks from 4-arrow to
white diagonal, and its a dickens to get the 2-
vertical-lines-with-outward-facing-arrows cursor to display at all.

Please advise.