Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon-L[_2_] Simon-L[_2_] is offline

Default Why does word think staff can be pluralised to staffs?

So it's like sheep?
Sheep is or Sheep are, it's singular and plural.

I'm in Australia, so the suggested changes are wrong (and yes, I do have
dictionary set to Aus).

Do you know if MS pay any attention to these forums or is there a way to get
in touch with the Spelling & Grammar people to get this fixed up for all
English speaking countries other than US & Canada?

"pbkry2r" wrote:

Technically, "staff" is a singular noun, if we're talking American English.
The suggested Word spell-check changes are correct. "Staff" is a group, which
is a singular thing, even though it's composed of many people. However,
singulars that should be plurals are very often misused, and that misuse has
become standard English in casual use. All the newspapers I've worked for,
and the publishing house where I now work, use it as a singular noun. So I'd
write "staff is" or "staff members are." British and other English uses may
differ. If you're writing for an organization that prefers "staff are," then
use that.