Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Need help with Macros in Word 03

Well, I don't know anything about macros, either, but if you're following
the directions in http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for installing
the macro, note that Step 2 tells you to choose the document or template
where you want to install it.

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
First off I dont know anything about scripting or programming or macros.
What I did was created the document. Went to the web and found the script
and copied it. Went back to Word Tools Macro Macros Create then
pasted the script. I have no idea how to apply or save the macro at this
point. It just seemed to take affect on that document after I saved it. I
of course had to make a shortcut on the toolbar for it. Only problem is
the macro only exist still on this computer and not the document. I am
lost as to what to do now.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you are recording the macro, in the Tools | Macro | Record New Macro
dialog, there is a dropdown labeled "Store macro in." This is where you
must choose the document you want to save it in (it must be open for
editing).

If you are writing a macro in the VBA Editor, you must select your
document in the Project Explorer before writing the macro. Since I don't
write VBA, I can't tell you much more than this; if you are a coder, you
presumably know more than I do. You can move or cut/paste an existing
macro from Normal.dot to any other document or template that is open.

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
I dont know how to save a macro in a document. I cant find any
information online on this issue either. Can you give me step by step
instructions on how to do this please?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You must save the macro in the document. When you create it, you must
select the document as the location to save it (by default, macros are
saved in Normal.dot). And then of course others who use it will have to
enable the macro if challenged (and to even given the option, they must
have Macro Security set to Medium rather than High or Very High). A
better solution in some cases is a template containing the macro,
installed the User Templates folder if a document template is required
or in Word's Startup folder (as a global template) if only the macro is
required; these are "trusted locations," so macros will not be
challenged provided users' Macro Security is set to "Trust all
installed templates and add-ins.

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
How do you attach a macro to a document so when others try to use the
document the macro will be there as well? Currently the macro only
works on my computer.