Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Need help with Macros in Word 03

If you have the toolbar button stored in a specific template, then the
button will be displayed only in documents based on that template (unless
the template is installed as global).

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
I was wrong. I dont have it working. Well it is for one document but not
for the others. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Keep in mind that toolbar buttons are also stored in templates. If you
store one in Normal.dot, it will appear in all documents (because
Normal.dot is a global template); if you store it in a specific template,
it will appear only in documents based on that template. If you have it
in both places, you're going to get it twice. Figure out which of the
buttons is excess and drag it off the toolbar.

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
I want to thank you for all your help. I finally got it all to work. I
did at one point call Microsoft but they wouldnt help me at all. They
said they dont support macros. However through all that I am puzzled at
one problem. I created a button on all the documents called Spellcheck at
the top of the toolbar. For some reason it disappered so I had to create
a new one. It wouldnt allow me to call the new one spellcheck so i had to
make it say RunSpellcheck. That and when I open up the toolbar to
customize it the Spellcheck button disappears. Now when I get out of the
customize of the toolbar mode the Spellcheck returns. How do I get rid of
that elusive button?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was assuming you were trying to copy the macro from a Web site. If the
macro is already installed on your computer, select it in Tools | Macro
| Macros and click Edit. This will open the VBA Editor with the
insertion point at the beginning of the macro you selected.

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
I cant even figure out how to get into the Macro to copy the content of
it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Selecting the contents and pressing Ctrl+C didn't copy it?

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
Thanks for the link but I think its even too complicated for me. The
macro I needed to copy I cant figure out how to get into it to copy
the contents. Before it was over with I lost the whole macro. I have
no clue what I am doing and will probably have to pay Microsoft to
walk me through it. *sigh*

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, I don't know anything about macros, either, but if you're
following the directions in
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for installing the
macro, note that Step 2 tells you to choose the document or
template where you want to install it.

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
First off I dont know anything about scripting or programming or
macros. What I did was created the document. Went to the web and
found the script and copied it. Went back to Word Tools Macro
Macros Create then pasted the script. I have no idea how to
apply or save the macro at this point. It just seemed to take
affect on that document after I saved it. I of course had to make
a shortcut on the toolbar for it. Only problem is the macro only
exist still on this computer and not the document. I am lost as to
what to do now.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you are recording the macro, in the Tools | Macro | Record New
Macro dialog, there is a dropdown labeled "Store macro in." This
is where you must choose the document you want to save it in (it
must be open for editing).

If you are writing a macro in the VBA Editor, you must select
your document in the Project Explorer before writing the macro.
Since I don't write VBA, I can't tell you much more than this; if
you are a coder, you presumably know more than I do. You can move
or cut/paste an existing macro from Normal.dot to any other
document or template that is open.

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
I dont know how to save a macro in a document. I cant find any
information online on this issue either. Can you give me step by
step instructions on how to do this please?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You must save the macro in the document. When you create it,
you must select the document as the location to save it (by
default, macros are saved in Normal.dot). And then of course
others who use it will have to enable the macro if challenged
(and to even given the option, they must have Macro Security
set to Medium rather than High or Very High). A better solution
in some cases is a template containing the macro, installed the
User Templates folder if a document template is required or in
Word's Startup folder (as a global template) if only the macro
is required; these are "trusted locations," so macros will not
be challenged provided users' Macro Security is set to "Trust
all installed templates and add-ins.

"Chris Peikert" wrote in message
How do you attach a macro to a document so when others try to
use the document the macro will be there as well? Currently
the macro only works on my computer.