ITJRW

Default Merge doesn't work after upgrading to Office 2003 and Win XP Pro

I am trying to help a prosecutors office with a problem merging documents
that worked prior to installation of Office 2003 and Windows XP. This is a
very legacy application and the developer refuses to try to fix the problem.
The application was written in VB 4 and uses Access 2 databases. The
merging attempts give the following errors:

"Merge Errror (Word) #1056 (0)" on title bar of error message and message is
"Not a valid filename."
The file name is valid and the permissions have been checked. That is
users can open the master merge document and it's associated recordless
header file (.dat) for field selection.

"31031 (0)" on title bar and message "Invalid source for link"

31004 (0) on title bar and message "No object"

This merge is fine on Windows 98 and using Word 97.

What is happening here? I there a way to correct the problem. The data is
taken from multiple tables in the .mdb file and uses a fairly complex SQL
statement to retrieve the record data.

Could I create a named data source for these merge documents and obtain the
data (from these multiple tables) using the newer Jet versions or OLE? How
would I go about that?

Thanks,
Justice