Terry wrote:

Certainly not a new user but don't know where to post this one (Please tell
me where may be better).

Some time ago we prepared a Word 2000 template using a table and Autotext.
Sentences (from a different document) were added to autotext (some were 700+
characters) and each given a code. Typing the code successfully inserted
the text into the table (of the template and 'new' documents). This
template still works OK on Word 97, 2000, XP.

We are now trying to set up new templates on the same basis. However, we
cannot enter more than 255 characters (on any version) into autotext. What
has gone wrong/are we doing differently. Please help before I lose all my
hair!!!

If the original was a 'quirk', any other ideas for automatically entering
text using a code?

Many thanks

Terry