Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Default controlling automatic left indents

Thanks, Bob, but I find that the help in Word 2007 is sorely lacking in
quality when compared to Word 2003. If anyone has a more specific resolution,
I would truly appreciate it. Styles are very tricky and unpredictable.

Arlene

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Each paragraph is a separate entity, so after pressing Enter you have to
press Tab again if you want the new paragraph indented - that setting
doesn't cause all paragraphs to be automatically indented. It just means
that when you press Tab at the start of a paragraph it's treated as a First
Line Left Indent instead of being treated as an actual Tab.

If you want that type of behavior you need to learn about using Paragraph
Styles... look them up in Word Help.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Arlene" wrote in message
Word 2007 has a checkbox in the AutoCorrect dialogn box under the
AutoFormat
As You Type tab named "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and
backspaces."
I assumed this was why when I pressed a Tab, that an automatic left indent
was set, which meant that anytime after that when I pressed Enter, I would
get an automatic .5-inch indent on the new paragraph. However, I cannot
replicate this behaviour now. Even though the box is checked, the
paragraph
is not being indented automatically. What is controlling these indents? I
need to know both how to stop it and how to start it. Thanks in advance.

Arlene