Shauna Kelly

Hi Vijay

I assume that somewhere in your document you have a heading that says
"Contents". The TOC is picking up that paragraph in the same way it picks up
other paragraphs to put in the TOC. One way to avoid the problem is to
create a custom style and assign it to your "Contents" paragraph. Make sure
that the outline level of your custom style is set to "Body Text", and then
update the Table of Contents.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Vijay J." wrote in message
I am using Word 2000.

When I insert a TOC and when the TOC is generated, the
word "Contents" automatically appears on top of it, and
is assigned a level of TOC1. How can I stop it to appear,
or change its TOC level?