Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default Merge with Percentage field looses formatting

DDE is less reliable, which presumably is why Microsoft changed it as
default. Use switches http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

FLSusanC wrote:
I thought this was a great suggestion and tried it right away,
however, there is a huge delay during the merge and the connection
times out and the merge is not completed. Any ideas about that?

"PA" wrote:

There is certainly nothing wrong with using switches, but the
problem is solved in a more complex manner than is necessary.
In Word, select Options from the Tools menu, and then select the
General tab. Put a check in Confirm Conversion at Open and click OK.
Henceforth, when merging from Excel, you will be given a choice of
conversion protocols while attaching your Excel data file to the Word
document. Choose DDE.
Using this solution you need never be concerned in the future when
merging formatted data, currency, percentage, date, etc, not only
from Excel but Access as well. Except in extrodinary circumstance,
forget that switches even exist. Just always choose DDE.

"Rone" wrote:

I'm having difficulty getting a percentage field from and Excel
sheet to properly format when I merge it with Word. I've had no
problems getting currency fields to format, but for some reason I
can't get the percentages to format right.

Here is the switch code I'm using: {MERGEFIELD "CAM_PERCENT" * 100
\#"##.##%"} This displays .0388% But I want it to display 3.88%.
I've also tried using 0's and moving the decimal around, but it
hasn't helped me any. I saw somewhere where someone used \#"0%",
but this only displays '0%' when merged.

I'm a bit new to this switching stuff. Does my version of Word have
anything to do with this? Its Word 2003 Professional v. 11.5604

Thanks for the help
--
Rone