Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lester Lane[_2_] Lester Lane[_2_] is offline

Default Text appears when the fields are blank

On 1 Apr, 22:33, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
I am assuming that what you want to suppress is a blank line. *To do that,
start the field construction at the end of the previous line and insert a
carriage return (or Shift +Enter) where the ¶ appears in the following
construction

{ IF { MERGEFIELD M_2InvestmentName } "cash" "¶
{ MERGEFIELD M_2Shares /f " shares in "}{ MERGEFIELD M_2InvestmentName */f "
valued at
£"}{ MERGEFIELD M_2CurrentValue }" { IF { MERGEFIELD M_2CurrentValue } 0

Cash valued at £{ MERGEFIELD M_2CurrentValue}" "" } }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Lester Lane" wrote in message

On 31 Mar, 22:29, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
I think that your construction should be:

"{ IF { MERGEFIELD M_2InvestmentName } "cash" "{ MERGEFIELD "M_2Shares"
/f
" shares in "}{ MERGEFIELD M_2InvestmentName */f " valued at
"}{ MERGEFIELD M_2CurrentValue }" "valued at { MERGEFIELD
M_2CurrentValue}" }

But, I am not sure about the negative result because in your field
construction, I do not see from where the "Remainder as Cash " comes.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Lester Lane" wrote in message

Hi, I'm not sure if I have the right approach to this problem but here
goes:

I can have up to 5 sets of fields with each set consisting of 3 fields
per record. *Some records only have say 3 sets. *On the letter each
set is a separate line. *For the 4th and 5th sets rather than get a
supressed row if I simply had one field on its own I end up with some
of the text buried within the merge formula. *How can I change my
approach/formula to make sure rows 4 & 5 are totally supressed please?

{ MERGEFIELD "M_2Shares" /f ""}{ IF { MERGEFIELD M_2InvestmentName }
"cash" " shares in { MERGEFIELD M_2InvestmentName */f ""} valued at
{ MERGEFIELD M_2CurrentValue }" "valued at { MERGEFIELD
M_2CurrentValue} }

Correct displays include:
9,764 shares in Edinburgh New Income Trust plc 1p ords (ENI) valued at
4,064.75
Remainder as Cash valued at 200.00

Using [] to show field data:
[9,764] shares in [Edinburgh New Income Trust plc 1p ords (ENI)]
valued at [4,064.75]
[Remainder as Cash] valued at [ 200.00]

Blank lines that should be supressed show:
shares in *valued at

which is that same if I had the text part outside the IF statement

Brilliant, thanks. *I now understand the /f part and how to edit it!
I ended up with:
"{ IF { MERGEFIELD M_2InvestmentName } "cash" "{ MERGEFIELD
M_2Shares /f
" shares in "}{ MERGEFIELD M_2InvestmentName */f " valued at
£"}{ MERGEFIELD M_2CurrentValue }" "Cash valued at £{ MERGEFIELD
M_2CurrentValue}" }

"Remainder as Cash" was in the Shares field but now I can remove this
and leave the field blank, which is neater. *However I still don't
have this formulae able to supress itself if there is nothing in any
of the 3 fields. *Any ideas on that please?

Not quite. The above suggestion gives me extra blank rows. I have
noticed that if on each line I simply have say the Shares field so the
first line is {MERGEFIELD M_1Shares} and the 5th line has {MERGEFIELD
M_5Shares} if the 4th and 5th Shares fields are blank then lines 4 and
5 do not appear at all. They are not blank, they simply vanish. If I
swap the simple merge fields for the complex IF statement then lines 4
and 5 are there but they are blank. Ideally I would like them to
"vanish" also. Hope that is clearer.