Elbert H.

Peter:

I was independently coming to the conclusion that your suggestion might be
the only one available to us. I greatly appreciate your detailed response!
You were very thorough in your steps. I will give this a try and post back
on my success or failure.

Again, thank you ...

Elbert

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

In theory, you should be able to write some Word VBA to open each document
(assuming they are all in known or easily found locations) and modify the
location of the data source.

snip

f. Once you have worked out how to update the data source programmatically
for one document, you can try doing the same thing for all 400. If you are
lucky, all 400 will work (you might be able to remove/rename the /original/
source at some point to verify that the documents are pointing to the new
source). Or maybe 350 will work and the 50 that don't will have to be
converted by hand...

Peter Jamieson

"Elbert H." Elbert wrote in message
We do a lot with mail merge documents. We have over 400 mail merge main
documents created in Word 2000 using MS Access as the data source. The
Access database needs to be moved to a different server. When this
happens,
we will need to relink / update the data source for all of these
documents.
Is there an automated or faster way to do this?

The prospect of having to manually update the data source for 400+
documents
is not one I am looking forward to.

Thanks in advance!